The following post was written some time ago, but never finished, and consequently never published. While I almost deleted it, I thought I would post it anyway. I actually was convicted when reading over it just now, realizing how quickly I trust in my own spirituality...or more properly my filthy rags, rather than Christ. Oh to draw nearer to Him!
Bible reading is an essential part of the Christian walk. Yet, isn't it funny how this can be one of the first things that grows mundane? Remember how you would drink in every word off the pages of Scripture when you were a new believer, how about now? If I made a chart of my Bible reading and rated the interest, fervor, and overall excitement of my "quiet time", you would have the scariest looking roller coaster ever, followed by times of flat line that would cause one to wonder if I was still breathing. I can count on one hand the times I have missed reading my Bible over the past few years, but despite remaining disciplined to read my Bible I have suffered times of intense drought. How can this be? I assure you, it has little to do with the Word of God.
"For the Word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart." Hebrews 4:12, NASB
God's Word never grows stale. Isn't it amazing how you can read the same passage every day and notice something different each time? Ever have the same passage speak to your heart in a myriad of situations? I think we lose this amazing reality when Bible reading becomes merely a practice of a spiritual discipline. While it is necessary to discipline ourselves in areas of prayer, meditation, fasting, giving, Bible reading, etc., the danger comes when we place our trust in these practices as an end, rather than the means to the end of knowing Jesus Christ better and becoming more like Him. It is possible to practice all of the spiritual disciplines and remain stagnant in your walk with the Lord. If trusting in the practice of a discipline, one can easily become like a whitewashed tomb...all nice on the outside but rotting within.
No comments:
Post a Comment