Monday, February 23, 2009

So much to do, so little time

It has been longer than I can remember since the last post. I certainly do not apologize, as the time pouring into other things has been well spent. There simply has been so much to do, and so little time!

Growing up, I would frequently hear adults use that phrase. My little brain could not comprehend what on earth they were talking about, as my life revolved around accomplishing a few responsibilities and then hurrying outside to play. Back then, I spent more time outside than inside, saw little need or usefulness for sleep, and thought cleaning my room was a huge responsibility. I'm sure you all can relate. It really is quite humorous how things change. Once life brings greater responsibilities, we long for the the simple task of only cleaning our room, we wish we could enjoy the luxury of playing outside, and we simply cannot expound enough on the need and usefulness of sleep. Time really does change things. We grow up, we gain more responsibility, and by God's grace those things do not happen overnight. If we took a look back on the progression of things, the very tasks that now seem so overwhelming, we would see how God has prepared and equipped us for these very tasks, and given them to us in His perfect timing.

I write this because I have been very overwhelmed lately by responsibility. Sure, I still do not enjoy having to clean the house over and over, and cooking will most likely never be a relaxing activity of the day, but I am talking about a greater responsibility. I am speaking of the responsibility that God has given us as students of His Word. James 1:21-25 in NASB reads:

"Therefore, putting aside all filthiness and all that remains of wickedness, in humility receive the word implanted, which is able to save your souls. But prove yourselves doers of the word, and not merely hearers who delude themselves. For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks at his natural face in a mirror; for once he has looked at himself and gone away, he has immediately forgotten what kind of person he was. But one who looks intently at the perfect law, the law of liberty, and abides by it, not having become a forgetful hearer but and effectual doer, this man will be blessed in what he does."

I know that this passage is well known by many, but I dare say that we quickly gloss over its depth of meaning. All too often, we deal carelessly with the responsibility that God has given us to become more like Him, and have become like the man that James describes in this passage. How many times I have said the prayer, "Lord make me more like You!" and then gone along on my merry way. This prayer is not bad, but I have seen that in saying these very words, I have deceived myself into thinking that I am fulfilling my responsibility of becoming more like Christ. This prayer does not equal my responsibility of "putting aside filthiness and all that remains of wickedness", nor does it equal a check in the box of pursuing Christ-likeness. The Christian life is described as a race, and that is exactly what it is. Not sitting in our lazy boys picking and choosing where we want to put forth effort, but an all out race toward the finish line.

I once heard this passage explained in plain terms. Imagine yourself getting up in the morning and walking into the bathroom, only to be welcomed by some ferocious hair from a night of sleep. Upon the shock of seeing this, you simply walk out and continue with your morning routine, eventually leaving having done nothing about your hair. The same is very true for many of us. We read God's Word, we hear His Word proclaimed over and over again, and while we see the sin in our lives, we think it is God's responsibility to change us. The sad reality is, I think we are more concerned about our hair than we are about our sin.

I know I have been, and I have been convicted by the ever so familiar passage in James. I do not want to sound ungrateful for the wonderful work of God in the process of sanctification, nor do I want to communicate that it is all up to us to become more like Christ. However, I have been reminded that I have a great responsibility to "walk in a manner worthy of the calling with which you have been called." (Ephesians 4:1) I have been overwhelmed, because as I struggle to kill the deeds of the flesh, I see more and more just how much effort it takes. And when it comes down to it, I really am more comfortable with looking in the mirror of God's Word, and doing absolutely nothing about my sin. So, while the task may seem overwhelming to undertake, I see that this is not an impossible responsibility. God has told us that He has given us "everything pertaining to life and godliness, through the true knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and excellence." I encourage you to look further into what Peter has to say in II Peter 1:1-11.

So while the task of becoming more like Christ is great, the process of becoming more like Him is ever rewarding. He has not left us on our own, and His power shines forth in our weakness. May we run this race well, seeking to be doers of the Word and not hearers only, and may we fight diligently against our sin taking seriously our responsibility to become more like Christ.
"For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all men, instructing us to deny ungodliness and worldly desires and to live sensibly, righteously and godly in the present age, looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus, who gave Himself for us to redeem us from every lawless deed, and to purify for Himself a people for His own possession, zealous for good deeds." Titus 2:11-14 NASB

No comments: